How to configure Netplan for VPN on boot

Hello all,

Thanks for having me.  I’m afraid I’m still somewhat of a novice when it comes to the sysadmin/devops/networking world so please be patient with me if I don’t understand things right away :)

I’ve set up a wee web server at home running Ubuntu 20.04 and a number of docker controllers.  As I am using a 5G modem for internet, IP addresses and port forwarding can be a bit unpredictable so I’ve chosen to hook this server up to a VPN provider to gain a static IP address and open ports directly to the machine.

I’ve successfully managed to set up my peer and all is well.  The only trouble is that I have to manually run `sudo pon purevpn` on each boot.  Whilst I do have a UPS in place, I do want to know that the connection will correct itself if there ever is a need for the box to reboot :)

Now I’ve looked at the documentation by you good folk here: http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-ubuntu.phtml
but I note that it was last updated 15 years ago (2007) and that it suggests I make some changes to my `/etc/network/interfaces` file.

The trouble lies here.  Ubuntu 20.04 does not, by default, have a `/etc/network/interfaces` file.  It would seem things have been migrated in this new version to something called NetPlan.

I figured I’d take the opportunity to not just google a solution but make sure you good folk were part of that solution so we can hopefully get this documentation updated for other lost souls like myself :)

Hope you are all well,
Andy Barratt

P.S. I note that my first attempt to subscribe failed when I sent a command to confirm my email address.  I guessed (seemingly correctly) that converting to Plain Text emails would solve this problem (Rich Text of course being the default in most clients these days!).  It might be helpful if someone could update the mailing list software to advise future participants to do the same :)

P.P.S. I’ve chosen to use `back ticks` to surround code snippets as this is what I’m used to in systems like markdown, but do let me know if there’re different conventions folk are used to in mailing lists like this.  Despite being born in the late 80s and grown up on dialup, I seem to have somehow missed out on the mailing list phase of the internet! :)