Re: Setup pppd over rs-485 point-to-point

On 17/03/2017 1:48 PM, Woody Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup pppd to connect a Linux laptop to an embedded Linux
> device. The Linux box connected to a rs-232 to rs485 converter, then
> the convert connected via a two-wire rs-485 cable to the embedded
> Linux device's rs-485 port.

This generally will not work as rs-485 is half duplex, the issue is that
the switching time between transmit and receive will mean loss of data,
how ever RS-422 will work.

> On the otherhand, I can make success with similar commands when two
> devices connected with rs-232.  So I guess, this failure was because
> the rs-485 is half-duplex.  But I searched google, people seemed say
> pppd should work over a point-to-point rs-485 connection.  So I want
> to get help from your experts.

I've not done any searches but I can not see how it could ever work. PPP
is a an async meaning it can transmit and receive at any time.
> Thanks in advance.
> -woody
Mike