Re: Huawei E398 4G/LTE USB-modem - IPCP fails under pppd 2.4.5

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, James Carlson wrote:

Ah, 4G. That's difficult.

The difference between how PS works in 2G/3G/4G is not really that big, its mostly the name of the boxes and the interfaces that change :)

Typically, with 4G-type devices, this means that either the authentication failed or that the phone isn't properly registered with the network.

Autentication is disabled in the network and you should be able to send anything you want. Access is allowed by the MME and the PGW based on the IMSI and configuration made in the HSS.

In windows, I am running the application that comes with the modem to connect, and I have collected a sniff of the serial port between the modem and windows where IPCP works and posted it at http://tlund.pp.se/ppp/windows_ppp_sniff.txt

That shows a blank (!) user name being sent.

I suspect that Huawei PPP/IPCP implementation in the modem requires it to be done JUST the way that their application does it, instead of just following the relevant RFC:s.

Possibly so. It may require some experimentation to figure out just what it wants to see.

I was hoping it should be possible to figure out exactly what the Huawei windows application does differently from what pppd does based on my sniff. :)

I am willing to provide any additional details that might be needed, do additional sniffing and try any patches or config changes you might have.

Try using this:

	user ""

and adjust /etc/ppp/chap-secrets to match.

I tried that, and it made no difference. I also went back to the windows box and entered a username/password to see what happened, and it made no difference there either.

However, after moving it back to the linux box again, I found someting curious! The defined PDP-contexts in the modem (as shown by AT+CGDCONT?) was all empty! (possibly removed by doing AT&F, not verified yet)

In my chat-script I always overwrite the APN-name based on what IMSI the SIM-card has (i use alot of different dongles and SIM-cards and move them around alot), so .. just on a whim, I quickly edited the script not to do this, and just go ahead and sedn ATDT*99# anyways, without an APN set.

Success!

I do not yet understand why or how, but this magically worked. :)

I am going to sniff the control-plane of the MME and the SGW to see what actually happens in the PDP set-up signaling.

Best regards,
Tomas