RE: Using PPPD pty option and script: controlling stdin buffer size?

[Arne::] "Stdio" was a mistyping from my side: I meant "stdin" and using
low-level read all the way.

> If you're seeing unwanted buffering here, I think you'll need to modify
> either the kernel's pty subsystem or the PPP line discipline that it's
> using.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing this, though.  Buffering is generally a good
> thing.  If your application doesn't do sufficient congestion control to
> avoid getting unacceptably stuck behind a long queue in the middle of
> the network, then I'd call that a bug in the application, rather than a
> problem with the network interface.
>
> --
> James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W
> <carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[Arne::] With all the respect, congestion control needs normally packet loss
due to traffic overload to respond correctly, yes? With the large buffering
of stdin this do not happen before long... We're dealing with underwater
networks with severely slow links and
large propagation delays. We need relative short buffers to avoid seeing too
big RTTs. Default PPP interfaces are set up with txqueuelen = 3, which is fine.
However, when the *effective* queue size is this plus the stdin buffering, which
we do not know the size of in bytes, but is in order of minutes (!) in RTT for such
slow links, then it starts to get an annoyance.
ÿô.nlj·Ÿ®‰­†+%ŠË±é¥Šwÿº{.nlj·¥Š{±þšiþ)íèjg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝjÿ¾«þG«é¸¢·¦j:+v‰¨Šwèm¶Ÿÿþø®w¥þŠà£¢·hšâÿ†Ù