Re: getting the device of the ppp connection

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Mark Ryden wrote:

What I mean is this: I have eth0 - eth3 on a machine, and a ppp
connection. I want to know by a
short program which device is the one which the ppp connection is
using (I know that usually this can
be deduced by running "ps" for the corresponding ppp daemon, and
inspecting the parameters; for example, with pppoe, I have "-I eth1"
parameter (-I stands for interface). But I want a more general
way which can be used in cases when we cannot get this info).

I would do this via an environment variable that you set via your start script:

PPPOE_DEVICE=eth1 pppoe .... -I eth1

Have a look at daemontools or runit for mechanisms to give you good reliable control of the execution environment of long-running processes.

---
Charlie