From: Bill Unruh [mailto:unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 03:23 PM
To: tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'ppp, Linux'
Subject: Re: pty

I presume that you have the program ppp_relay which you say he wrote. You will
have to look into that to see what it does.

man pppd

  pty script
               Specifies that the command script is to be used to commu-
               nicate rather than a specific terminal device.  Pppd will
               allocate  itself  a  pseudo-tty master/slave pair and use
               the slave as its terminal device.  The script will be run
               in  a  child  process  with  the pseudo-tty master as its
               standard input and output.  An explicit device  name  may
               not  be  given  if  this  option  is used.  (Note: if the
               record option is used in conjuction with the pty  option,
               the  child  process will have pipes on its standard input
               and output.)

pppd connects it stdout to that program's stdin, and stdin to that program's
stdout. Ie, that program is responsible for all communications with the phone.

You will have to look at it to see why no responses are generated. ( you could
also look at the debug output of pppd to see what pppd is seeing-- you can up
the log level to get more detailed info.
pppd uses the daemon log facility of syslog for its error messages.
iYou need something like
daemon.*       /var/log/daemonlog
in /etc/syslog.conf
to get the stuff output to the file /var/log/daemonlog.

See the entry for "debug" in man pppd