Re: How to Patch 2.4.4 with ppp-2.4.4.gigawords.patch

G'day Neville,

Your task is to apply a patch.  The program that is often used for this
is called patch.  It is normally installed on most systems, but if not,
you'll need to figure out the correct package name.  On most of my
systems, the package name is also patch.

A patch can also be applied manually using a text editor, but the patch
to which you refer would take several hours to do manually and the
chances of a mistake are much larger.

Before applying the patch, you must unpack the source file.  The file
ending in .tar.gz contains a compressed .tar file.  The .tar file
contains a group of files that make up the source.  Given the file name
of ppp-2.4.4.tar.gz one would normally unpack this with a command like:

	tar xzf ppp-2.4.4.tar.gz

or if one liked more verbose but easier to understand commands ...

	tar --extract --gzip --file ppp-2.4.4.tar.gz

I've tested that the above two commands work.

Now, to apply the patch will depend on the patch itself; or rather the
method used by the author of the patch to generate it.

I've briefly looked at the patch, and it is not a patch built against
ppp-2.4.4.tar.gz, so it may present some difficulty.  It might or might
not apply.  I've not tried it.  It seems to be a patch against a
repository that contains a copy of ppp ... a derivative project perhaps.

Based on the errors generated by the patch program, you'd then be able
to determine what needs to be done to fix the patch or ask for the
original author to resubmit it.

This level of task complexity is normal for a software engineer or
programmer working with open source.  Have fun!

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 07:01:15PM -0000, Neville wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Would really appreciate some help here as I'm trying to manage usage
> on access to my PPP Server, but the old PPP WRAPS at 4.2GB and I
> understand this Patch to Gigawords will address this.
>
> Please anyone...
>
> Thx
> Nev
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Neville" <nev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>