Re: IFF_RUNNING support for ppp interfaces?

James Carlson <carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 04/02/2009 18:14:44:

Sorry for the late reply, I got busy and forgot ..

> Joakim Tjernlund writes:
> > I wonder how IFF_RUNNING is managed in recent pppd version(s). I very
much
> > like  to
> > use IFF_RUNNING to see if the link working in both ends.
>
> For most implementations, IFF_RUNNING cannot be controlled by anything
> in user space (such as pppd).  Instead, it's set/cleared by the
> kernel's PPP driver.

I haven't looked into how ppp is impl. in user/kernel space but I suspect
that user space would have to help/inform the kernel ppp driver about
RUNNING status.

> Defining "working" is difficult.  Usually, the IFF_RUNNING flag is set
> if the link is either a demand link waiting for activity or if there's
> an active serial link underneath the connection, and IFF_UP is set
> when IPCP successfully negotiates addresses.

Perhaps, but one could flip RUNNING if echo replies stops or if
someone pulls the cable. That would be a start

 Jocke