From: James Carlson [mailto:carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:59 PM
To: Nicholas Hickman
Cc: linux-ppp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: net_mask 255.255.255.255

Nicholas Hickman writes:
> Thanks for the response.  I completely understand.
>
> I guess my real gripe is witch Cisco and their OSPF hello packets on
> PPP links.  You cannot configure a dialer interface for a /32 subnet.

> The result is that their OSPF hello packets contain a subnet greater
> than
> /32 which doesn't match my ppp interface so OSPF doesn't come up
> unless I change the subnet on the ppp0 interface to match what I am
> connected to.

What are you running on your side of the link?  If it's Quagga, I think
you should be able to specify a netmask through the configuration file
that matches what Cisco is expecting.

(I agree that their behavior here seems weird.)

> Commenting out those lines and allowing a different subnet just makes
> it easier to operate in the Cisco world.

One of the underlying questions is whether it works right when you do
that.  I think at one point it did not ... and that the kernel was
supposed to ignore oddities like that.

Your other option would be to write an /etc/ppp/ip-up script that uses
ifconfig to tweak the interface as desired.  That's a little hackish,
but requires no code changes.

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>