Re: [Bridge] kernel doesn't support bridge with a ppp interface ?

c.j wrote:

I'm not sure if this is even possible using standard protocols. Bridging is for Ethernet; PPP is not Ethernet.

You can bridge any bridgable protocol. You can even bridge ethernet to token ring or other media using translation bridges.

People used to use PPP to bridge two remote networks together using a PPP link. The BCP PPP protocol was used as the PPP network control protocol. Each bridge would learn each other's MAC addresses as if the remote network were on the same LAN.

So this would require some sort of nonstandard Ethernet-over-PPP encapsulation protocol, and would only make sense if the PPP devices at both ends of the link talked this protocol.

If pppd supported BCP, I think the pppN network interfaces could be added to a Linux bridge just like regular eth interfaces. It's BCP (rfc1638 / rfc2878) support that is missing.

That said, these days people prefer to use routing, where remote networks are connected together, not bridging. So there is no demand to add BCP support.

This sounds like a job for something outside the kernel, e.g. OpenVPN as suggested or a simpler Ethernet-over-IP tunnelling app.

L2TPv3 can carry raw ethernet frames. We're working on it now. :) It will be possible to add L2TP ethernet interfaces to a Linux bridge to bridge ethernet frames over L2TP.

You are right I think. Thanks.

Regards~

--
c.j