Re: LCP Renegotiates After IP Connection

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, James Carlson wrote:

James Cameron writes:
Now, looking at your log in more detail ... I'm surprised that you get
an LCP ConfReq and ConfAck sequence up front consisting of 10 pairs of
packets, each with the same id and magic number.  It is as if the

That's not a pppd problem.  We're sending Configure-Request (over and

Who is we? Are you part of this or is this a sort of royal we?

over on the normal restart timer), and the peer is sending
Configure-Ack each time, but isn't bothering to send
Configure-Request.

Sould not your side start to send a ConfReq with something other than
magic?

The peer is either confused or broken.  Based on the combination of
symptoms, that's not too surprising.

embedded device is echoing the packets back to your host.

No, it's not.  It's sending Configure-Ack in response.  I don't see
anything wrong here, other than the fact that we're stuck in AckRcvd
state because the peer won't send Configure-Request.

 But I thought
pppd had code to detect that, and there's no sign of that detection
triggering.

There's no loopback here, so nothing to detect.

I suggest you use the record option and use pppdump or wireshark on the
result, so as to find out what is happening.

Other than that ... sounds like the embedded device wants something
different.  If it works in a stable fashion with something else, a dump
of that data stream may be handy for comparison.

I guess it depends on your tolerance level for broken devices and how
much you value your time.  ;-}

Or the pressure to make it work by higherups.