Re: hanging tcsetattr call

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, bfc wrote:

Most of the time things work OK -- maybe the chat script needs work, may
there's a resource issue on the
far end, but I think it'd be interesting to know what the error case should
look like.  If you reach the end of
the time specified by a TIMEOUT chat line (or the default TIMEOUT), then I
should think chat would exit
with a non-zero, and pppd should promptly exit with an error, not hang on
tcsetattr().  BTW, I'm not using

PPP always tries to clean up after itself. It does not simply die. Thus you seem to be having some serial port problems.

Why don't you put in a TIMEOut of 2 and put garbage in that next line to
see if it is the timout that is causing the trouble
TIMEOUT 2
y79876y '\d\c'

persist or any other option to keep things going.

My pppd option file looks something like:

Something like??? With computers
Assuming your "somthing like" was a misstatement:

noauth
debug
name foobar.com
/dev/ttyS0 115200 crtscts
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /var/opt/foobar/chat-file

You are missing a terminating end single quote.

..and the chat-file:

ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "BUSY"
'' ATH
OK AT&F0
OK ATDT5555
TIMEOUT 120
CONNECT \d\c

The \d\c should be protected by single quotes
CONNECT '\d\c'

Also run chat with -v option, and put
local2.*			/var/log/daemonlog
and show us the output in /var/log/daemonlog
so we can see what chat is trying to do.