Re: Using an NTS instead of the local serial device ?

I do not think PPPD can connect to a terminal via the method you tried.
What you need to do is load the Lantronix virtual serial port software on
both servers and setup a pseudo serial port.  Tell pppd to use that instead.
It should work but why not just use the network and create PPPD over an ssh
ssh tunnel instead of using a terminal server to begin with.  Why
are you using a termianl server anyway?  Can't the machines communicate over
the network?

Also look at OpenVPN and Vtun.  You can create pppd links using
pseudos that way too.