Re: Can we run a PPP server & client simultaneously???

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, LeeD wrote:

Is it possible for linux to support both a PPP server and PPP client (with
dial on demand) simultaneously on the same serial port?

ppp is peer to peer, so any ppp is both a client and a server at the same
time. However one serial port or modem can only be used for one connection
at a time. not for more than one at a time.

I have a PPP client setup to support dial on demand, however this locks the
serial port preventing any call answering programs (such as mgetty) from
using the same serial port and modem.

Stop using dial on demand. It is completely useless when you are connected
as a server anyway. Ie, if you want to use outgoing ppp, just run a progrm
to start it instead of trying to do on demand.

I have seen server advertised which offer both PPP client and server, so how
to they do it?

Regards,

Lee

-