RE: DHCP failure on machine with ppp running.

On Wed, 24 May 2006, JOBY THAMPAN wrote:

Hi,

	This is company mail ID, so it is not easy to change the Format of
mail ID. Sorry for any inconvenience.

	I am attaching the setup diagram... (Setup-sha)

	Explanation:

	DHCP Server running on Linux machine 1 on 192.168.10.1

	DHCP Relay started with Server IP as 192.168.10.1 and listening on
ppp0. and eth1.

Do you mean 192.168.10.200?
and 192.168.20.1

	Link 2 is PPPoE link.

Why? PPPoE is ppp over ethernet. If you already have an ethernet link, why
in the world would you then want to have ppp running on top of that? pppoe
was and abortion which had life breathed into it by a commercail company
for no reason but to make money. It is used as a way of doing
authentication , but you have a single machine (#3) hanging off #2.
Strange.

	The client is expecting an IP in the range 192.168.40.X

Why?

	But the DHCP Offer packet from Server is reaching only upto PPPoE
Client interface...

? firewall?

And how do you know it is reaching there?

	Then I did a setup like placing another machine between the client
machine and pppoe-client machine

	and started dhcprelay on that machine which listens on eth
interface.

	as shown in the attachment (Setup-jo).

	This worked..

Are you sure that it is not just that machine which is serving a dhcp
address? Ie, are you sure that the request is going all the way back to 1
and then back along the line?

	In effect when dhcp relay listened on ppp0 interface th OFFER Packet
is not reaching Relay.

Which is Relay?

	But while dhcp relay is listening on eth0 interface the OFFER Packet
is reaching client through relay.

	ipforwarding is enabled in all machines.

	Is there any other configuration I missed

Rgds
Joby