Re: Plumbers: PM constraints micro-conf RFP

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:17:19AM +0300, Valentin, Eduardo wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM, mark gross <markgross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is a Request For Participation in a micro-conference at this years
> > Linux plumbers event.  For this micro conference to happen we need to
> > reach a certain critical mass WRT participants as measured by submitted
> > talks associated to Power Management Constraints.
>
> Nice! Thanks for proposing this.
>

> > The To: list is populated with folks that I've had interactions with
> > over extending pm-qos or constraint based PM over the past year.
> >
> > If you are working on problems related to constraining the power /
> > performance of devices I am inviting your participation and request you
> > submit a proposal for presenting your problem space (preferred) and or
> > solution to a group of developers looking for a good solution to push
> > upstream.  The talks will be about 20 min long as I want to get into
> > some design and implementation discussions after the requirements
> > definition is mostly finished.
> >
> > I am interested in gathering user mode interface needs as well as kernel
> > mode.
> >
> > From a high level pm-constraints is a generalization of pm-qos to include
> > limiting performance as well as its current limiting of device
> > throttling.
> >
> > As performance limiting is typically used for any of the following:
> > 1) staying within thermal operational envelopes
> > 2) avoiding peak current
> > 3) extending battery life in active use cases
> >
> > I invite anyone working in any of these areas or pm-qos applications to
> > participate in this micro-conference.
> >
> > I will organize the micro-conference into 2 parts:
> > 1) problem statements with specific participant examples where
> > constraining the performance or throttling is needed.
>

> I could bring something on the use cases where this type of
> constraining could be used. Essentially major focus gets partitioned
> in two areas: For device skin/case temperature management, and IC's
> junction temperature management.

This will be great!  Getting the common / typical use cases well
represented is the highest priority of the session IMO.

Having a solid understanding of them will drive the requirements and
hopefully make defining the architecture quick, easy and without a lot of
conflicting points of view.

--mark