Re: Regarding Devfreq

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM, MyungJoo Ham <myungjoo.ham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Satendra... <satendra.pratap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Ham,
>>
>> I have used jiffies to calculate the busy time and total time for a module
>> (made of 'n' functions say).
>> I have added a bew structure:
>
> Hi.
>
> In my ARM SoC systems, one jiffy is 5ms. I don't think other systems
> won't vary too much (should be around several hundred us to several
> ms). Are you sure that jiffy has enough granularity for your system?
> If you are counting the length spent in a function call, shouldn't
> nsecs be usec? (ktime?). And for saving such values, the
> "private_data" is intended for individual devfreq drivers
> communicating with governors specific to the drivers. Devfreq->data is
> intended for individual devfreq governors. Thus, yes, platform-data is
> the right place for devfreq driver internal.
>
> Cheers!
> MyungJoo.

Ah.. and one missing point:

Please consider the concurrency. You may have multiple instance of
function calls in your device driver. And please do not block them by
simply adding locks there if this performance counting is the only
reason to make them mutually exclusive. This is another reason to
count nsecs (ktime) locally in the function and add the end-start
(local variable) into the aggregation variable (lock here only or use
atomic operators).

Cheers!
MyungJoo.