Re: [RFC] Runtime PM for host controllers

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012, Kevin Cernekee wrote:

> In embedded applications, there are a number of situations in which it
> is useful to completely disable a host controller in order to conserve
> power.  Some typical scenarios include:

<SNIP>

> Looking through Linus' head of tree, I see:
>
> USB runtime PM seems to focus on the individual USB devices, and does
> not allow for dynamically suspending the entire host controller
> AFAICT.

That is not correct.  USB host controllers _can_ be suspended.  (Not
all of them; many of the platform drivers don't implement controller
suspend.  But some of them do, and almost all of the PCI-based drivers
do.)

> USB used to allow writing "suspend" to the power/control file, but
> that no longer seems to be the case as of 2.6.32.

Correct.

>  In general I don't
> see any facility where the application can explicitly tell the PM core
> to suspend a device (incurring a potential loss of functionality, such
> as hot plug/unplug detection).

Right; there is no way to do this.  The OS will suspend a device only
when it believes it is safe to do so.

<SNIP>

> So, my questions are:
>
> a) Is SATA/USB/MMC host controller suspension something that can be
> accomplished within the existing runtime PM framework?

Not only _can_ it be accomplished, it already _has_ been accomplished
(for USB at least, I'm not familiar with the others).

> b) If not, what is the best way to modify the runtime PM framework so
> that it can support these use cases?

No changes to the framework are needed.  If a subsystem or driver
doesn't support runtime suspend then support has to be added at the
subsystem or driver level.

> c) Is this something you would even want in mainline?

Yes.  People are already working on this stuff.

> d) Or should I just go back to using "rmmod"?

I don't see how rmmod will save any power.

Alan Stern