Re: [RFC v2]: Issues implementing clock handling mechanism within UART driver

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Felipe Balbi <balbi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 05:29:12PM +0530, Govindraj wrote:
>> Yes fine, But there are scenarios even before first runtime_suspend happens,
>>
>> ex: uart_port_configure -> get_sync -> pm_generic_runtime_resume
>> (omap_device_enable in this case) debug printk -> console_write -> get_sync.
>>
>> there are numerous such scenarios where we end from runtime context
>> to runtime api context again, or jumping from one uart port operation
>> to uart print operation.
>
> calling pm_runtime_get_sync() should not be a problem. It should only
> increase the usage counters... This sounds like a race condition on the
> driver, no ?

Actually when we call a API to enable clocks we except the internals of API
to just enable clocks and return.

*Clock enable API should not cause or trigger to do a _device_driver_operation_
even before enabling clocks of the device-driver which called it*

for uart context get_sync can land me to uart driver back
even before enabling the uart clocks due to printks.

> What you're experiencing, if I understood correctly, is a deadlock ? In
> that case, can you try to track the locking mechanism on the omap-serial
> driver to try to find if there isn't anything obviously wrong ?

Yes deadlocks. due to entering from runtime context to runtime context
or entering from uart_port_operation to uart_console_write ops.

There are already port locks used extensively within the uart driver
to secure a port operation.

But cannot secure a port operation while using clock_enable API.
since clock enable API can land the control back to uart_console_write
operation..

>> So either we should not have those prints from pm_generic layers or suppress
>> them(seems pretty much a problem for a clean design within the driver
>> using console_lock/unlock for every get_sync, and for
>> runtime_put we cannot suppress the prints as it gets scheduled later)
>>
>> or if other folks who really need those prints form pm_generic* layers
>> to debug and analysis then we have no other choice rather control
>> the clk_enable/disable from outside driver code in idle path.
>
> yeah, none of these would be nice :-(
>
> I think this needs more debugging to be sure what's exactly going on.
> What's exactly causing the deadlock ? Which lock is held and never
> released ?

I had done some investigations, from scenarios it simply boils down to fact
to handle clock within uart driver, uart driver expects clock enable API* used
to just enable uart clocks but rather not trigger a _uart_ops_ within which
kind of unacceptable from the uart_driver context.

--
Thanks,
Govindraj.R

*clock enable API can be any API used to enable clocks like
get_sync/ omap_device_enable/clock_enable etc.