Re: [RFC] Disable disk spinup during system resume

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> On 21/07/11 17:49, Alan Stern wrote:

> > What happens if you kill all the running processes (or as many as
> > possible) before starting the suspend?
> >
> > Also, how do you initiate the suspend?  Do you use a program, or do you
> > simply "echo mem >/sys/power/state"?
>
> I just rebooted with init=/bin/sh and did
>
> sdparm -r -C STOP /dev/sda
> echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/device/scsi_disk/*/manage_start_stop
> echo mem > /sys/power/state
>
> When I hit the power button to resume
> sda started spinning again :(

I have no idea why.  Unless maybe the BIOS started the drive.

Here's another test you can try.  Before starting the suspend, make
sure no filesystems are mounted on sda and do:

	echo scsi remove-single-device 0 0 0 0 >/proc/scsi/scsi

(replace the "0 0 0 0" with the appropriate Host, Channel, ID, and LUN
values for your sda drive).  This will erase all knowledge of that
drive from the kernel.  If it still spins up during resume, you can be
sure the kernel isn't responsible.

> There kernel logs about sata ports starting up.
> Maybe I need to put the drive into a different
> sleep state or something to stop it starting.

I really don't know what's going on.  Maybe somebody on the linux-scsi
mailing list can explain this.

Alan Stern