Re: Need Help to debug resume hangs at schedule() function

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM,  <purusothaman.ramajothi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>                 I am using 2.6.27.18 kernel.My machine is powerpc
> architecture.I executed the deep sleep operation by executing the following
> command:
>

> “echo mem > /sys/power/state”
>

> The suspend opeartion was successful.All the devices and user level threads
> are suspended.
>

> But sometimes during resume my machine hangs.This is not happening
> regularly.But it occurs after 60 or 70 times of deep sleep operation.So for
> debugging this I have added checkpoints in the flow of deep check.When this
> issue was produced the kernel hangs around “thaw_tasks” or “schedule”
> function of “thaw_processes”.These functions are defined in
> “kernel/power/process.c”.

Have you enabled [Kernel hacking] ==> [Detect Hung Tasks] and waited
more than 120 seconds after the hang?

> Note: The final printk message “Restarting tasks.....done” was not displayed
> when this issue occurred.But all the devices and drivers resumed back.
>

> I was not able to debug this as the reproduciablity rate was too low.Kindly
> help me in solving the issue.

Around 1/100 is not that low for a suspend/resume issue. Don't get too
frustrated. You will probably encounter much rarer (let's say 1/10000)
incidents if you are doing the job with newly produced chips and
boards. :D

If you have some H/W tracers similar as T32, try it. It helps a lot.

> Regards,
>
> Purusothaman R

> message and any attachments.
>
> WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should
> check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The
> by this email.
>
> www.wipro.com

MyungJoo Ham, Ph.D.
Mobile Software Platform Lab,
Digital Media and Communications (DMC) Business
Samsung Electronics
cell: 82-10-6714-2858