Re: [ANNOUNCE] cpupowerutils - cpufrequtils extended with quite some features

Hi,

I excluded some people/lists...

On Friday, March 11, 2011 04:56:01 PM Corentin Chary wrote:
> > The tool should compile and work on as much architectures as
> > possible.
>
> Hi Thomas,
> Do you think handling really vendor specific "boosts" like EeePC's SHE
> is in cpupower scope ?
Not really.

> Still, it would not solve the issue of setting SHE mode in a standard
> way, or associating it with a governor.
I am not familiar with this stuff.
This is an oem/vendor specific way to modify the front-side-bus
throughput on (Intel atom only?) eeepc like machines (acer, asus and
others?)?

You could try to experiment with registering your own delayed work queue
in eeepc-laptopc.c and try to find best tunings and fittings for such
requirements.
If it works out and/or other xy-laptop.c or whatever drivers provide
similar functionality it could get moved up into a more generic
framework. A separate one next to cpuidle and cpufreq, for example
fsb_mod?
-> then cpupower should get enhanced to show its statistics, provide
easy knobs to tune things and provide a manpage what this is all
about...

       Thomas

PS: Wouldn't the cpufreq subsystem suffice to register for this
SHE thing?
Could it be that SHE and real CPU freq (speedstep) is mutual exclusive?
Is the only problem that p4_clockmod cannot be loaded then?
I know it's needed to "unlock" certain eeepcs, but this not typical?
Are there any statistics how much p4_clockmod saves power on such
machines?

    Thomas