Re: pm_runtime_suspended() and non-pm_runtime-using (i2c) drivers

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > The parent can either be set to the active state or set to ignore its
> > > children.  The parent does not have to be enabled for runtime PM.
> >
> > Both of those require that the parent is set up to know something about
> > runtime PM to some extent - in the case of buses like I2C the parent is
> > a largely unrelated thing on a different bus which may or may not have
> > runtime PM implemented.

> > > What part isn't clear from the documentation?  I think the description
> > > of pm_runtime_set_active() in Documentation/power/runtime_pm.txt is
> > > pretty straightforward.
> >
> > It's not clear to me that one needs to do this in order to avoid
> > breaking the suspend and resume calls of drivers that aren't doing
> > anything with runtime PM.  It's clear what it does, but it's less clear
> > that the bus should do it or that not doing it will have an impact on
> > stuff that isn't using runtime PM.

> > > I'm a little confused.  When you say this is a "noop" bus, do you mean
> > > that it can't do any power management?  If so, why does it need to get
> > > runtime PM working?
> >
> > The bus as a whole may not be able to do anything useful with runtime PM
> > but individual devices on it may be able to do so - for example, a multi
> > function device provides a parent device and a bunch of children for
> > that device.  Runtime PM provides a nice way for the children to
> > individually suspend themselves and let the parent implement extra power
> > savings if all the children suspend.  It also provides a userspace API
> > for controlling runtime suspend behaviour which drivers may find useful,
> > and stuff like the autosuspend delays might be useful to some.
>
> I see.  It sounds like you're really saying that new devices default to
> the wrong runtime state.  If pm_runtime_init() would set new devices to
> RPM_ACTIVE instead of RPM_SUSPENDED then this problem wouldn't arise.
> Children could do whatever they want, and even if the parent's driver
> was totally ignorant of runtime PM, it would work out.

Actaully, pm_runtime_init() also sets power.disable_depth to 1, which disables
runtime PM and (with the pm_runtime_suspended() change I proposed earlier)
that should be sufficient, unless someone blindly calls pm_runtime_enable()
for the device without changing its status as appropriate beforehand.  That,
however, is a bug in the code doing this IMnsHO.

Thanks,
Rafael