cpuidle_state.power_usage and cpuidle_device.power_specified

Ai,

With the introduction of cpuidle_device.power_specified in

commit 71abbbf856a0e70ca478782505c800891260ba84
(cpuidle: extend cpuidle and menu governor to handle dynamic states)

large positive numbers are now shown in sysfs
rather than the power numbers specified by
acpi_idle, intel_idle, and sh_idle.

I expect the intent of the patch was actually to set the default
to power_specified=1 for the drivers where really do specify
power_usage rather than to override every driver, yes?

But it has been on my clean-up list to delete power_usage from
both intel_idle and acpi_idle anyway -- and I'd offer the same
change to sh_idle, since it appears to be of no value there
either.  I planned to then to delete power_usage from
cpuidle itself.

But you have changed menu_select from assuming
that states are in order of increasing power savings,
to doing an exhaustive search of all states to find
the one with the lowest power_usage that satisfies constraints.

Does your platform set cpuidle_device.power_specified,
or is it using the small negative integers for power_usage
that you have bestowed upon the other architectures?

Do you intend to modify power_usage at run-time, even
when the new CPUIDLE_FLAG_IGNORE flag is available?

thanks,
Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center