Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:06:32PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>
> > > Will the driver use autosuspend for the 30-second delay?  Then all you
> > > have to do is this: When the button is pressed, write 0 to
> > > power/autosuspend_delay_ms, causing an immediate runtime suspend.
> > > Then before turning the display back on, write 30000 to set the delay
> > > to 30 seconds again.  You can leave power/control set to "auto" the
> > > whole time.
> > >

> > This means messing up with the currently set timeout. If userspace could
> > have an option of "accelerating" expiring of the current timeout that
> > would be better.
>
> Accelerating the expiration of the timeout _is_ a form of messing with
> the currently-set timeout.  It can't be "better".

I was thinking about the case where timeout is user-supplied setting.
Instead of having application store the original value, write 0, and
later on restore it, I thought it would be better (as in simpler) to
have a separate sysfs entry to "expire" the original timeout
immediately.

> > > I don't like the idea of having an "off" setting in power/control.
> > > What happens if the user turns a disk drive controller "off" and the
> > > system needs to read or write something on that disk drive?
> > >

> > I see. Well, for some devices "sicky off"
>
> "sticky off"?

The device that stays off and doe snot power itself up even if it is
needed.

> >  maybe the one that makes most
> > sense. For others we may need an option that would put them into low
> > power mode while allowing bringing them back if they are needed.
>
> Can you give any examples where "sticky off" is really useful (other
> than just for debugging)?

A mobile device might have a set of keys that, once device is put into
lower power mode, should not bring the device out of that mode. This I
would call a "sticky off" case.

> > In case of touchscreens/keypads they are most likely configured as
> > wakeup sources so when user actually tried to use the device they'll be
> > brought online.
>
> I agree, but it's important to distinguish between wakeup sources in
> particular and interrupt sources in general.  As long as the system
> as a whole isn't suspended (it might be running or it might be in
> cpuidle), any interrupt source can cause a runtime resume.  By
> contrast, when the system is suspended then only wakeup sources will
> cause anything to happen.

Right.

--
Dmitry