Re: Wakeup-events implementation

2010/8/19 Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> I don't think that is the only conclusion.

>> This is a real problem that might be worth solving, but just adding a
>> wakelock timeout does not solve it since the keyboard driver would
>> either renew the timeout after every scan, or it would leave the
>> keyboard in a state where you could not use it to wake up the device
>> anymore.
>
> Okay.  Nevertheless, you maintain debugging info in case a driver bug
> causes a wakelock not to be released.  If the wakelocks all had
> timeouts then a bug of that sort wouldn't be able to affect battery
> life very much.  So why not add the timeouts?

Because we can't. I just described how the keypad driver would break
we just add a timeout to its wakelock. Other drivers, like the usb
gadget driver may need to block suspend for an extended time period.

> Or conversely, if you think the likelihood of such bugs is too low to
> worry about, then why have the debugging info?

That statement assumes all the bugs can be fixed by adding timeouts,
which I don't think is true. Also, you don't need to have bugs for the
stats to be useful. The gps could for instance prevent suspend for a
long time because the user ran a gps tracking app.

>> > I agree.
>> >

>> Having user space initiate every suspend operation is more flexible
>> out of the box, but you can get the same flexibility with the other
>> approach by adding an interface to report all wakeup events and failed
>> suspend attempts. However, I have not seen a use case for this
>> flexibility other than as a partial workaround for wakeup events that
>> user space needs to know about but are not reported to user space any
>> other way (it is only a partial workaround since it still has the same
>> race condition we are fixing for other wakeup events).
>
> In any case, this is something that could easily be changed with a
> small Android-specific kernel patch.  At the moment it doesn't seem to
> be a major issue.

Yes, that seems to be a likely outcome.

>> > Still, IMO we can do that if it would help to narrow the gap between the
>> > Android kernel and the mainline.
>> >

>> Some android drivers currently need the calls to be not nested so that
>> they can mix timeouts and pm_relax. With only nesting apis we cannot
>> get the same functionality.
>>
>> Other drivers rely on the non nesting property of the existing
>> wakelock api but do not use timeouts. I expect these drivers can be
>> converted have the same behavior with a nested api, but there could be
>> difficult edge cases.
>>
>> Non-android driver may need a nested api so they can use a handle that
>> they did not allocate. It is not clear to me if this is really needed.
>> If it is not needed we can make all the calls non nested and require
>> that the driver allocates a handle (or more commonly put the handle in
>> the private data it already allocates). If we do need to keep the
>> nested behavior, we a way to select which variant to use. We can have
>> separate calls that nest and require drivers that use the non-nested
>> variant have their own handle, or we could set a flag when creating a
>> handle that makes calls on that handle not nest.
>
> I agree, there are several possible designs.  It's hard to tell which
> will be best without more experience.
>
> How much degradation do you think you would observe if in-kernel
> wakelocks _always_ used timeouts alone and _never_ were cancelled?

I don't think that is an option. We have kernel wakelocks that need to
be held while the device is in a specific state.

>> Wakelocks are not associated with devices at all right now, so I don't
>> have a list for you. However, the input queues need more than one
>> wakelock per device if they use timeouts. In this case there is only
>> one driver though, but the driver allocates a separate queue for each
>> client that opens a device. Our keypad/gpio-keys driver may also end
>> up using multiple wakelocks. Many phones use different keys types in
>> the same logical keyboard, so you could end up with one wakelock for
>> the matrix scan and another one for debouncing keys connected directly
>> to a gpio. The driver could be changed to share a nested handle, but I
>> prefer to keep them separate.
>
> Okay.  In addition, we've already seen that devices for which you
> haven't yet implemented any wakelocks may end up needing more than one.

>> There is a global work queue.
>
> So you want to be able to cancel the wakelock whenever the queue is
> empty, right?  And not have to keep track of whether each MMC device
> has any work items in the queue.

I have not reviewed that code, so I don't know the details of how it
works or even if it is correct, but I see that it uses both timeouts
and wake_unlock calls on the same wakelock.

> In theory this is insufficient -- it doesn't handle the case where one
> MMC device is enabled for wakeup and another isn't.  I assume you don't
> really care about this (especially since Android phones aren't likely
> to have more than one MMC device capable of generating wakeup events).

I'm not sure what you mean by insufficient here. If it not optimal if
you also have work that does not need to prevent suspend, but it
should still work correctly.

>> It would be better to allocate the structure when user space changes
>> the setting. If you wait until suspend before blocking suspend you may
>> have passed the event on already.
>
> That will work for the structure directly associated with the device.
> Additional structures allocated by the drivers have to be handled
> differently, because the drivers aren't notified when the wakeup-enable
> setting is changed.

I'm not convinced that is it sufficient to detect that a device is
wakeup-enabled on suspend. However it is not a problem I have tried to
solve since we have only used static wakeup sources.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg