Re: Wakeup-events implementation

2010/8/17 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx>:

>> > I don't know if it is the only place that is using more than one
>> > wakelock with a timeout per device. There are other drivers that use
>> > more than one wakelock, but it is possible they could use a single
>> > nested lock instead (with some detail loss in the the stats). I'm not
>> > sure every wakelock can be associated with a device though. For
>> > instance the mmc core wakelock does not have a corresponding device.
>>
>> What other drivers need more than one wakelock per device?
>>
>> For that matter, why does the MMC core need wakelocks at all?  I wasn't
>> aware that memory cards could generate wakeup events.
>
> Yes, that's interesting, although I _guess_ this is related to the events
> generated by inserting/removing a card.

That is my guess too, but it is also possible sdio wakeup events could
also hit this code path.

>> > The timeout used when mixing timeouts and wake_unlock are generally
>> > longer than when only using only timeouts since the timeouts are used
>> > to cover edge cases were wake_unlock did not get called. Allowing
>> > timeouts and pm_relax to be mixed may allow a gradual path from using
>> > timeouts to block suspend only when needed (timeouts only -> timeouts
>> > for edge cases -> no timeouts).
>>
>> In fact, I rather expected you would say that the combined
>> cancellations/timeouts were useful for pinpointing applications that
>> don't read their input events quickly enough.  If the wakelocks were
>> always allowed to time out instead of being cancelled when the data was
>> read, you wouldn't be able to tell whether the data was read in a
>> timely manner or not.
>>
>> > We have also had bugs, where sensors generate input events whenever
>> > the system is not suspended. The 5 second timeout we have on input
>> > events is not short enough to allow the system to suspend at all in
>> > this case.
>>
>> This sounds like the sort of bug that would be found very quickly and
>> easily if you didn't have active cancellation.  It would be pretty
>> obvious when the system didn't suspend at all.

We don't uncover all bugs during testing before we ship. For instance
the bug could be triggered by a 3db party app, and there is value in
making the system as robust as possible to both driver and user space
bugs.

>> > I see the kernel as trying to suspend if user space asked it to
>> > suspend (until it user space asks the kernel to stop suspending).
>> > Wakeup events that don't reach user space should not need user space
>> > support to reenter suspend.
>>
>> That's debatable.  For example, consider a Wake-On-LAN magic packet.
>> It generally doesn't go anywhere -- it gets dropped once the system is
>> awake.
>
> Yes.  I think every event that would wake up a sleeping system should result
> in unfreezing user space.

Returning all the way to user space for every wakeup event is a poor
substitute for delivering the actual event to user space. If user
space want to stay awake for 60 seconds after every wake-on-lan
packet, how can it accomplish this if it does not get the event. If
user space delays suspend for 60 seconds after every failed suspend
attempt, a wake-on-lan packet that arrives just before it decided to
suspend will be ignored.

>> > You want each suspend attempt to be initiated by user space. Suspend
>> > is initiated from user space in both cases,
>
> Not really.  With wakelocks suspend may be initiated as a result of a driver
> dropping its wakelock, which doesn't qualify as "from user space" to me.

Sure, but only if user-space had already requested suspend.

>> > the difference is that you want the suspend request to be one-shot, which
>> > means that the kernel may cancel the user space suspend request, where I
>> > want user space to explicitly cancel the request.
>>
>> Yes, that's a fair way to describe the situation.
>
> I somewhat agree.

>> > The wakeup request need to block suspend until the driver has seen the
>> > event. If the driver and the wakeup code uses the same handle how can
>> > you avoid interference?
>>
>> Let's say the interrupt handlers responsible for invoking
>> pm_request_resume use non-nesting calls.  This may happen several
>> times, depending on the wakeup and interrupt delivery mechanism, but
>> the end result is that the counter is incremented only once.  When the
>> pm_runtime_resume call ends, pm_relax does a single decrement.
>>
>> Meanwhile, the driver uses nesting calls.  It can increment the counter
>> as much as it wants, and it has to perform an equal number of
>> decrements.  The key point is that pm_request_resume never gets called
>> while the driver has any outstanding pm_stay_awake requests.  Hence the
>> non-nesting calls never got "lost", since the first one is always made
>> while the counter is 0.

It sounds as if you are saying that the two drivers don't interfere
because one of them always gets there first. In your example if
another interrupt occurs before the second driver still has released
all its references on the counter, the interrupt will (incorrectly)
not increment the count.

>> > That is we do now (with wakelocks), but I think we need to pass this
>> > handle to the pm_stay_wake... calls, and not the device, for this to
>> > work.
>>
>> You may be right.  Or we may need additional calls taking the handle as
>> an argument rather than the device.  The design requirements are still
>> simmering in my mind, and I'm waiting to hear what Rafael thinks.
>
> I actually like the idea of having two levels of calls, ie. pm_stay_awake(dev)
> calling something like __pm_stay_awake(handle), where the handle is read from
> struct dev_pm_info.  And analogously for pm_relax().
>
> Then, the object associated with the handle might be created when the device
> is enabled to wake up and destroyed when it's disabled to do that.

When multiple drivers use the same device, who creates and destroys the handle?

> OTOH, if it's really necessary to use a "raw" handle (ie. without struct
> device), the caller of __pm_stay_awake() will allocate and free the
> "wakelock" object by itself as necessary.
>
> As far as the names are concerned, I'd like to avoid allocating space for them
> whenever it is not necessary (like when the "wakelock" is pointed to by struct
> dev_pm_info, in which case it is simply sufficient to use the device name to
> refer to it).

>> > Too me this is an example of where two handles are needed, not where
>> > nesting is needed. Yes, you can use a single nested handle here, but
>> > the stats will not tell you which driver blocked suspend if there is a
>> > problem.
>>
>> It sounds like you're suggesting that handles should be allocated
>> per-driver rather than per-device.  That would tell you which driver
>> blocked suspend, but not which device.

Typically a driver puts a wakelock in the state that it already
allocates for each device, so you have a handle for each device/driver
combo that needs to block suspend.

>> This raises a few other questions.
>>
>> With Android-based handsets, you're in a setting where you have a
>> pretty good idea of what all the wakeup sources are and how they might
>> get used.  On a general system this isn't so.  Many devices are
>> potential wakeup sources, even though only a few of them end up getting
>> enabled.  In the example above, I said "Suppose a USB root hub is
>> enabled for wakeup".  But usually people won't want to do this; they
>> don't want their suspended laptops to wake up when a USB mouse is
>> unplugged or plugged in.
>>
>> Allocating these wakeup structures for all possible wakeup sources
>> would be a big waste.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> On the other hand, a driver generally doesn't
>> know until a suspend starts whether or not its devices should be
>> enabled for wakeup.

Why? How is the driver notified on suspend that it needs to be enabled
for wakeup.

>> That makes things difficult, especially if you
>> contemplate having multiple structures for each device.  Have you
>> really sat down and thought about what wakelocks would be needed on a
>> general system such as a desktop or laptop machine?

No, I don't know what wakelocks are needed on a general system, but
you need code to turn the wakeup events on and off events anyway, so I
assume allocating a handle for the wakeup event is possible.

>> Also, I frankly have to wonder why you demand such a large amount of
>> detailed debugging about the kernel's wakeup/wakelock subsystem (as
>> opposed to userspace wakelocks).
>
> That also is my question.

It is not that different from what you get from /proc/timer_list,
/proc/meminfo etc. When the system does not suspend I want to know
why.

>> Yes, it's clear that if something
>> goes wrong then you will drain your phone's battery in a few hours
>> rather than a few days.  But what if something goes wrong with the VM
>> subsystem, or the RF subsystem, or the keypad driver?  The device would
>> crash immediately or at best become almost totally unusable.  These are
>> much worse scenarios than losing some battery life -- have you added
>> comparable quantities of debugging to those other parts of the kernel?

We do track crashes and the kernel already dumps detailed debug
information in that case. Also, I don't agree that a kernel crash is
always worse than draining the battery. If you are away from a power
source and the kernel crashes, the device reboots and you have a
usable device again. If the battery drained, you cannot use the device
again until you get to a power source.

>> In addition, you retain all these debugging facilities in your
>> production builds, not just in the debug kernels.  Doesn't this seem
>> excessive?
>
> It definitely seems so.

There are two reasons for keeping the debugging facilities in production builds.
1. The debugging information is useful for debugging problems in the field.
2. We want to test with the same code we ship.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg