Re: Wakeup-events implementation

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, David Brownell wrote:

> --- On Tue, 8/17/10, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I wasn't
> > aware that memory cards could generate wakeup events.
>
> Almost all MMC/SD hardware can generate reliable
> insert/remove events, in my experience.  So MMC/SD
> drivers I've modified tend to treat them as wake
> events ... userspace can respond without polling
> constantly "did it change yet, huh, did it???"

This is interesting in light of the fact that testing has shown many
USB card readers don't track insert/remove events while in low-power
mode.  When they return to full power, if a card is present they always
report a media change -- even if the card had been there all along.
This makes autosuspend less useful than it might be.

> Unfortunately Pierre spent a lot of time hard-wiring
> UNSAFE_RESUME assumptions into the MMC core, so lots
> of that stuff is currently (and needlessly) broken.

There's a difference between generating wakeup events for insert/remove
and keeping track of media-change events.  I wouldn't want my sleeping
laptop to wake up when I insert or remove a memory card, but I would
like it to recognize when a card has been changed.  If the hardware can
do one but not the other then Pierre's choice is understandable
(although not in accord with Linus's preference).

Alan Stern