Re: PM QoS dynamic resource manager

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Bryan Huntsman <bryanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/4/22/213  (I guess the details are in the
>>> archives)  I'm happy to re-visit it.
>>>

>> Interesting patch, it looks like having a "system wide bus" doesn't
>> easily apply to msm and tegra platforms.
>> An example of some things I would like to be able to control are i2c
>> and memory bus.
>>
>> I'm tempted to suggest adding two types memory and i2c but I'm not
>> sure how future proof this will be given the growing complexity in the
>> embedded hardware road-map.
>> What about the possibility of registering not one but several buses?
>> You could add a bus qos param, with a type enum, or bind to some
>> platform_driver or bus_driver
>>
>> Then there's the issue of having to deal with platform specific buses,
>> do you add this type to pm qos with only one user? Or have some
>> platform bus types defined somewhere. The generic code of min / max
>> for resource X can be useful so everyone doesn't spin their own
>> resource framework in their own architecture.
>>
>> -- Mike
>
> Mike, one idea I'm exploring is having platform-specific busses with QoS
> constraints specified via runtime_pm as part of the LDM.  Adding dynamic
> class creation within pm_qos, or a type enum as you suggest, would work.
>  However, I think this kind of behavior would fit nicely within runtime_pm.

I'm not too familiar with the current work in runtime pm and LDM.
However platform specific buses sounds like a good thing, at least
more future proof. This works in the embedded SOC world but I'm
wondering what happens when you have re-configurable hardware and now
your same peripheral is sourcing a different bus?

Does runtime pm hook into pm qos similar to how cpuidle uses pm qos?
So the platform-specific buses would be aa pm rumtime or a pm qos
addition?

-- Mike