Re: PM QoS dynamic resource manager

Thanks Mark.

I do understand your concern about having static paramters for the
system, makes it more usuable across architectures.

My requirement is drivers would want something like what PM QoS
provides for their driver - (aggregation/max/min) of requests and pass
on the final value to the driver for that specific driver. Writing it
out for every driver is a duplication of code when PM QoS already
provides this as a framework.

If a subsytem wants to use the driver they can use PM QoS with the
published driver-specific QoS param. If the driver does not exist, ie,
the param is not defined then they get the error code back. I do have
something that has been written for arch/arm/mach-msm (it is arch
agnostic though). I would like to invite you to take a look at the
link below.

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/arm/msm/npa.txt;h=b5134041be1e6109b86179085db8aee19960c5dc;hb=android-msm-2.6.32
The implementation is in arch/arm/mach-msm/npa.c

I would like to bring in some key features that NPA has into PM QoS.
NPA complements PM QoS in a way that it is completely dynamic and
supports multiple params (known as resources/nodes). The essence of
the framework is same as PM QoS - requests can be made by sub-systems
and the framework aggregates or calculates the final value (the
function to do this can be driver specific or framework pre-defined
library) and the result is then passed on to the driver. In addition,
the NPA framework supports aliasing of params (a 'system bus' on one
architecture can mean one thing and on an other can reference another
resource) and would be abstracted from the users. Dependencies between
params can also be specified. The document also specifies 'remoting',
which we can ignore it as it is just a layer over the framework.

I am interested in bringing in some of these features into PM QoS. Let
me know what you think.

Thanks,
Praveen