Re: RFC: additional event for pm_notifier

On Friday 26 March 2010, Sebastian Ott wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've got that working, but after some more thinking
> i really didn't like that approach - in short, if we do that,
> hibernation on s390 will allways be bound to the plattform mode
> (with certain devices we will crash in our restore callbacks
> if we haven't previously enabled the hw-feature, which those
> devices use)
>
> and to the your-gun-your-foot argument - if someone tests
> hibernation on s390 using the reboot mode he sure cannot
> expect the potential panic, depending on the involved devices

Well, on x86 using ACPI the reboot and shutdown modes only work by fortunate
conincidence, so to speak (if at all).

That said, your argument is reasonable.

> do you absolutely oppose against the idea of a new notifier event?

Yes, I do.  To the extent that I'd rather change the entire design so that the
"hibernation modes" would be platform-dependent.

Thanks,
Rafael