Re: syncing the disks when entering sleep

Hi.

Pavel Machek wrote:

>>> Yes, that or something similar would certainly help.
>> No, that would only make things more confusing. What other kernel knob
>> turns itself off like that? Even drop caches, which might be reasonably
>> expected to do so, doesn't.
>
> IIRC drop caches only drops once...

Yes. It drops them when you set the value non zero (value is a bitflag
saying what to drop). To do the same thing  again, you need to set it to
some other value then to the value you want.

> Fine, that simply shows that we should not have the knob. Rather,
> suspend should be getting parameters; one of them is suspend type (S1,
> mem, disk), second is test mode (full, only drivers, only core, ...),
> next is whether to sync or not...
>
> Maybe we really want sys_suspend() syscall.

I don't see why it shows that we should not have the knob, or rather,
why you're now arguing that the knob should exist, but be hidden in a
binary only interface. It seems illogical.

Regards,

Nigel