Re: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module

Hi,

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:22:19 +0100
Bartłomiej Zimoń <uzi18@xxxxx> wrote:

> So pm could be very simple, and i think we don't need more.
> I want ask You how usualy such user (not root) process notification is done,
> You are talking about pm-utils right?

No, not at all.
Once you are at a level where pm-utils does its job, the Network is
hopefully already disconnected and the external storage umounted etc..

So you do not send the message from pm-utils, but from the power
manager app. Once you are done with preparing the suspend in the users
session (telling your email and IM app to go offline etc), then you
call HAL's suspend method (or whoever is in charge of that now,
DevKit?).

Implementation detail: probably the power manager app just tells the
network manager app to shut down the network when going to suspend, and
the network manager app tells the email and im app to go offline, this
would at least make much more sense to me ;)

I see why you are tempted to put this into the kernel. However, this is
IMHO not the best way, because you might need to interact with the user
like "I could not umount the USB stick, continue suspend?" (with a
timeout of 10 seconds and default "ok, don't care about the FS and
continue") and that is pretty complicated to do from outside the
desktop session.

(Note that I am in no way totally up-to-date how this is implemented
 nowadays and it would be definitely a good idea to talk to the pm-utils
 and the desktop developers, e.g. the gnome-power-manager guys about
 those issues).

Have fun,

	Stefan

--