Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> So, seriously, do you think it makes sense to do asynchronous suspend at all?
> I'm asking, because we're likely to get into troubles like this during suspend
> for other kinds of devices too and without resolving them we won't get any
> significant speedup from asynchronous suspend.
>
> That said, to me it's definitely worth doing asynchronous resume with the
> "start asynch threads upfront" modification, as the results of the tests show
> that quite clearly.  I hope you agree.

It's too early to come to this sort of conclusion (i.e., that suspend
and resume react very differently to an asynchronous approach).  Unless
you have some definite _reason_ for thinking that resume will benefit
more than suspend, you shouldn't try to generalize so much from tests
on only two systems.

Alan Stern