From: Alan Stern [mailto:stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:50 PM
To: Mahalingam, Nithish
Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki; linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Runtime PM: Check for dev->parent PM support

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Mahalingam, Nithish wrote:

> Hi Rafael,
>
> I see that in most of the internal runtime functions
> (__pm_runtime_suspend, __pm_runtime_resume, __pm_runtime_set_status
> etc.) without any explicit check to see if the dev->parent supports
> runtime PM there is access to its runtime PM fields. I guess there
> can be a use case where a device supports runtime PM but its parent
> does not. Am I missing something here?

That's right.  For example, in theory there could be a situation where
the PCI subsystem didn't include runtime PM support but the SCSI
subsystem did.  Then you could have a SCSI target device (with support)
whose parent was a PCI SCSI host adapter (without support).

(Actually that example couldn't happen, because PCI is one of the first
subsystems to support runtime PM.  But you get the idea.)

Alan Stern