Re: [Suspend-devel] Help

On Thursday 24 September 2009, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:28:03 +0200
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 23 September 2009, Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
> > > Hi Rafael,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I am thinking about the maintaining ...
>
> Good luck! I know that you'll need it ;)
>
> Let me throw my 2 cents into the bowl.
>
> > > 1. The users sends the hardware info to be added to the database
> > > (now by mail). Then:
> > >
> > > 1. Probably we need a little script (or web script? or post directly
> > > form the s2ram -i?):
> > >   1.a The script checks if the machine is previously added to the
> > > database (in a text file). Probably this script can read from the
> > > mailing list format
> > >
> > > xxxx:% sudo /root/s2ram -i
> > > This machine can be identified by:
> > >     sys_vendor   = "TOSHIBA"
> > >     sys_product  = "Satellite U305"
> > >     sys_version  = "PSU34U-00L003"
> > >     bios_version = "V1.70   "
> > > See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
> > >
> > >   1.b If is not added, the script add the machine to a text file.
> >
> > However you arrange that is up to you.  My experience is that the
> > users generally send whitelist information by email.
> >
> > > 2. The text file can be processed using a little script to convert
> > > it to the "whitelist.[c,h]" files and converted to web page
> > > (s2whitelist and s2web :-))
> > > 3. The script can do a git update if needed.
> >
> > Well, I'm surely not going to allow the script to update the master
> > git tree at kernel.org directly.
>
> There's also the issue that some sanity checking should be done before
> adding an entry. Pretty often, users send some hilarious option
> combinations, on machines that should nowadays just work without any
> options (e.g. intel-based).

Agreed.

> The next thing is, that I, personally, would reject any machines that
> should work out of the box nowadays with in-kernel drivers (means:
> intel, nvidia- and ATI binary-module driven). You can only make things
> worse on such machines with userspace workarounds, and they should be
> recognized automatically by recent (means: newer than 2 years)
> pm-utils, so that no hack is needed. IMHO the whitelist should not be
> cluttered with them.

Agreed in general, maybe except for the binary driver part.  I certainly prefer
people using s2ram's workarounds to people installing binary graphics drivers
just to make suspend work.

> > > In my opinion, the file should have this format:
> > >
> > > <author info for the comment's
> > > line>·<sys_vendor>·<sys_product>·<sys_version>·<bios_version>·<flags>
> > >
> > > I am using the "·" separator because probably is not used in any
> > > field.
> >
> > What's the code of this character?
>
> Something strange ;-)
>
> I'd use the pipe character: '|'. I have not yet encountered it in
> s2ram-relevant DMI data. It still is readable and not subject to
> encoding issues AFAICT.

Yes, it is an ASCII character (officially called "vertical bar" BTW).

> I'd put the author info / comment at the end, since then you can
> sort/grep for sys_vendor easily, which is probably most useful.

Agreed.

> And I still think that nowadays s2ram is the wrong tool for the
> whitelist, but well... :-)

Oh, you know my opinion. ;-)

Still, if Rodolfo is willing to maintain the whitelist, I won't object.

Thanks,
Rafael