gnome's black light control for LCD displays

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I really love Linux and the environment.  I
am glad there are people that are working on both!

I know of a way to reduce power consumption on my Ubuntu laptop
running Gnome.     The default screen saver is a "blank screen",
however when the blank screen is displayed the back light is still on.
   The way to test for this is by putting the machine in a very dark
room  and you will be able to see the "Blank Screen"  glowing from the
back light.

The easy fix would be to turn off the back light when the "Blank
Screen" screen saver is activated by gnome.  A more difficult fix
would be to detect if the screen is displaying only black and then to
turn off the back light.  The 2nd is a more general purpose fix that
could be handled by X and affect many different situations and all
window manger's "Blank Screen" screen savers.   Every calorie of
energy counts,  and every pound of CO2 that can be saved should be
considered.

Thanks for the Green Linux effort!
--Michael Brooks