Re: [RFC Disable suspend on a specific device] This is a little change in linux power scheme

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
>
>> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> So, who exactly is going to have that information?  Does it depend on a user
>>> decision on something else?  If something else, then what?
>>>

>> An example:
>>
>> - a user has a blootooth handset and make a call so the application
>> framework
>> know that that device are reserverd or blocked and are usefull for maintains
>> the call on. but linux can suspend without problem. So the user level
>> echo "disabled" for exaple to the
>> /sys/devices/platform/soc-audio/power/disabled
>> and avoid suspending of audio devices and subdevice like aplifier,
>> switch , etc. This
>> increase life battery of system, because permits a partial suspend.

>>> If I understand it correctly, the behavior you'd like to obtain is quite
>>> similar to the one of wake-up devices that usually also need to remain
>>> powered (at least to some extent) during suspend.  This, however, is handled
>>> by the drivers of that devices, in their suspend callbacks.
>>>
>>> How is your device different from the other wake-up devices?
>>>

>> The difference from the wakeup device it's if I remember that they are
>> suspendend
>> but ready to wakeup on external input. I want that device remain on, so
>> I think that is
>> a little different beahvior. It's like to have a PM_DEVICE configuration
>> dynamic instead of static.
>>

> OK, thanks.
>
> I think this is a rather fundamental issue and it requires some more thought.
>
> What platform is your device based on, BTW?
>
> Rafael

I'm working on an openmoko freerunner gta02 and do some work on android
framework.
It's a smartphone
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

The bluetooth device for example in the Freerunner has a direct I2S connection to
the WM8753.  Audio from a bluetooth headset is decoded by and sent digitially
to the WM8753 which does the digital to analogue conversion and
routes it out via the appropriate outputs.
Analogue problem has the ti-caplyso when the audio is routed for a phone call.

Is the correct answer to you question?

Michael