Re: [RFC] Tying sysfs "wakeup" file to platform-level?handler

On Nov 25 2008, at 15:18, Alan Stern was caught saying:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Deepak Saxena wrote:
>
> > The sideband signal is a gpio. The driver knows that the GPIO exists,
> > but it does not know that it anything about it is routed on the board
> > IMHO it should not.
>
> It's a difficult problem.  You've essentially got a platform device on
> the USB bus.
>
> > > The easiest answer is for the driver to call directly into the platform code.
> >
> > Agreed, and there are several ways to do this:
> >
> > One is to do wrap code around #ifdef and if(machine_is_olpc()) to make
> > a call to an OLPC-specific call.
> >
> > The other is to add a generic platform wakeup hook mechanism such as
> > either my original proposal or adding a set_wakeup() to struct device
> > itself. Another option is to have a single platform_set_wakeup()
> > pointer similar to the platform_notify() and platform_notify_remove().
>
> I'm not sure...  This sort of thing isn't something I've had to deal
> with before.

I'm going to throw a patch togethre and post it here and on lkml for
vetting and we can go from there.

> Suppose the same sort of WLAN interface was packaged as an independent,
> external USB device and one of them was plugged into an OLPC.  Then how
> would you know which device was the one attached to the embedded
> controller and which was external?

I think in that case we couldn't really do WOL. I imagine this is the
case on a standard laptop too. On future XO versions, we may move to
an SDIO based card and we will have to deal with the same situation
where the SDIO stack has a concept of wake up on card insert/remove
but we will need to route the WOL signal from the card to the EC.

~Deepak

--
 Deepak Saxena  http://www.greenbasement.info
   _____   __o  Kernel Hacker, One Laptop Per Child  (o>