Re: New comer in the linux-pm list

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 13:40 +0100, David GIGUET wrote:

> I am forwarding an e-mail from N. PAJANI, one of our collaborator.
>

> Hi all
>
> I have made some googling and read some code from the kernel, but I
> did not managed to find a "power management scheme" outside of APM or
> ACPI to fit my needs.
> My goal is to have something relevent for embeded devices (or at least
> battery powered), not only servers, desktop or laptops, though it may
> apply to these.
>
> For example on a cellphone, when you switch to "silent mode" what need
> do you have to power the audio amplifier, and maybe the audio module
> inside the SOC may be stopped, saving more power.

ALSA Soc (ASoC) does this sort of thing already. It can power down
unused audio components when not in use. Have a look at DAPM in
sound/soc and Documentation/sound/alsa/soc for details.

> Or fully powering Wifi or Ethernet when they are not in use on a
> "netbook" is also an unuseful loss of power.

The voltage regulator framework will allow powerdown of Ethernet/Wifi
when not in use (provided they are supplied power by a by a software
controlled regulator).

Liam