Re: [RFT] x86 acpi: normalize segment descriptor register on resume

Andi Kleen wrote:
>> It still seems incredibly risky to push this for 2.6.26, especially
>> given the Elan revelation.
>
> Do Elans even support S3?

I don't know if they do, but I don't know offhand the extent of machines
that may have that problem, especially since Intel now document it as
"failures are readily seen".

>>  I think it needs to be tested on the 2.6.27
>> track, and then possibly be pushed back via the 2.6.26-stable route.
>
> I'm just not sure how many suspend/resume cycles people really do
> on a early (pre -rc) mainline kernel (or in linux-next for that
> matter). You usually have to install on a laptop and actually
> use it.
 >
> Since this code is only executed on resume some directed testing
> would be better. That is what Rafael asked for in this mail.

The issue is mostly if it breaks some obscure system.  I have put it on
my laptop, Ingo has it on this test system with a suspend-testing cycle,
and so on, but the number of systems exposed is going to be small.

> I think it would be ok for .26 if we can get confirmation it works
> on a few systems with S3 suspend/resume.

That we already know it does, but it took a long time even until the
regression came to light.

	-hpa