Re: USB PM suspend/resume problems with Marvell Orion SoC

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, Tawfik Bayyouk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working with Linux version 2.6.24-rc4 for adding the power
>> management capabilities to the USB ehci driver for Orion SoC
>> device of Marvell.
>>
>> I need help in 2 issues:
>>
>> 1- The SoC device supports 2 levels of power management and I'd
>> like to reflect this at the driver level.
>> The first is "standby" where only clocks are halted while
>> preserving the registers values. The second is "mem" where the
>> whole SoC (including the USB HC) are powered off.
>> What is the correct way to distinguish between the 2 modes in
>> the .suspend and .resume routines of the platform_driver?
>> I believe that the parameter I am looking for is the PM target
>> state which is usually passed in the .set_target of the
>> platform_suspend_ops routine.
>>
>> 2- After resuming from "mem" suspend, the USB can no longer
>> detect plugging in and out of USB devices.
>> I have investigate the problem and found that 4 registers where
>> not configured correctly. Saving the values of these registers
>> in the .suspend routine and loading them back in the .resume
>> routine resolves the problem.
>> The following are the 4 problematic registers:
>>     USBCMD (0x140)
>>     USBINTR (0x148)
>>     PORTSC1 (0x184)
>>     USBMODE (0x1A8)
>
> So what's the problem?  Just have your platform suspend method always
> save the registers and have the resume method always restore them.  If
> you do this, you should also call usb_root_hub_lost_power().

Thanks, usb_root_hub_lost_power() indeed solved the issues with the
registers.

Still, I think that I need to distinguish between the "standby" and
"mem" at the suspend/resume level of the driver (unless I am not properly
understanding the correct usage of "standby").

We were thinking of implementing the "standby" mode in a way that only
the processor is powered off while keeping the USB (together with the
rest of the peripherals) powered up & functioning. Having any unmasked
interrupt (from the USB or from any other peripheral) will power up the
processor to handle the interrupt and resume execution. In such case,
saving/restoring registers should not be performed, but I can't find a
way to get the target suspend_state_t within the .suspend and .resume
routines.