Re: [RFC] PM: Add PM_RESUME_PREPARE and PM_POST_RESUME notifiers

On Monday, 29 October 2007 22:30, Alan Stern wrote:
> Rafael:
>
> How does this patch look?  Any reason not to have the resume notifiers?

Yes.

The userland interface already uses PM_HIBERNATION_PREPARE and
PM_POST_HIBERNATION for restore too, so if anything, we should call these
from software_resume() either.

As a rule of thumb, if you're going to change kernel/power/disk.c, have a look
at kernel/power/user.c and see if analogous changes are needed in there.

> After all, drivers need to know when an image is about to be restored
> just as much as they need to know when one is about to be created.
>
> Assuming this is okay, to whom should I submit it?

Well, it isn't, but as far as the patch flow is concerned, please post suspend
patches to linux-pm and I'll forward them to Len Brown.  Next, they will go
through the suspend branch of the ACPI tree.

This doesn't apply to patches that change drivers/base/power and should go to
Greg, but I can forward them to him too.

> There will be a couple of follow-up patches, one adding the icebox and one
> converting the USB threads to use the icebox instead of the freezer.  This
> sort of cross-subsystem stuff is difficult to coordinate unless one person
> handles everything.

The overall idea is to collect patches in the suspend branch of the ACPI tree,
unless that is against some higher priority rules.

Greetings,
Rafael