Re: Re: lockdep report in hibernate code

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > The problem here is that the buffer mutexes are not distinguishable.
>
> I don't quite get the "which lock already depends on the new lock" part.
>
> Well, I have always had problems with understanding what lockdep actually
> traces ...

The basic idea is simple enough.  Lockdep looks for events which seem
to be problematic, such as lock A being acquired while lock B is held
if earlier on somebody acquired B while holding A.

The difficulty lies in the "_seem_ to be" part -- lockdep can't keep
track of each and every individual lock in the system.  Instead it
groups them into categories based on the structures they lie in.  So if
A and A' are both pm_mutex members but belonging to two different
structures, lockdep won't be able to tell them apart without help.  If
someone acquires A then B, and someone else acquires B then A', lockdep
will report a violation.

Alan Stern