Re: Re: Possible problem with device_move()

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> > A "move to the end" routine would solve the EHCI issue.  It ought to
> > solve the problems associated with device_move() also, provided the
> > device being moved doesn't have any children.
>
> The device drivers need to be given more control; they could just walk
> the children list in this case then.

Come to think of it, "move to the end" won't solve the EHCI issue.  I
would need a "move A up so that it comes before B" routine.  For this
special case we wouldn't need to worry about ancestors of A because A
and B will have the same parent, but in general A's ancestors would
have to be moved also.  That's a little worrisome because the ancestors
might have dependencies of their own.

> > Cornelia and Marcel, is that the case?  When a ccw_device or RFCOMM TTY
> > is reparented under a new device, do any children get moved along with
> > it?
>
> Hm, device_move() just drags around the children with it (and
> ccw_devices may have children as added by the driver; zfcp does that,
> for example).

So you would want to move the sub-channel plus its ancestors in front
of the ccw_device, right?  Can you think of a safe way to satisfy
everybody?

Alan Stern