RE: Power Management framework proposal

> > this seems to be contradicted by the fact that AMD is listing the
> ability
> > for each core to run at a different clock speed on the new 4-core chips
> as
> > an advantage.
>
> that's a marketing thing mostly.. they all still run at the same voltage
> anyway.

Several months back I recall seeing in several places that AMD's near term roadmap had each processor in its own voltage plane.  This was contrast to Intel which had it much further out.  As I recall the speculated reason was the silicon process Intel was using allowed them to put off that complexity longer.

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=WE1VYQTG2ZE5YQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=196604387

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=WE1VYQTG2ZE5YQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=199700463

Today TI has chips with multiple variable voltage planes so seeing the same out of a company like AMD is not so hard to believe.

Regards,
Richard W.