RE: Power event notification patch

Hi,
On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 19:09 +0530, ext V, Sankara Narayanan wrote:
> I really can't stop the kernel from going to suspend using my master app
> (well, my app is not really a master app). It is just to inform the apps
> in the user space "Hey, I'm going to suspend, in the time available
> before I go to sleep, do whatever you can do!" whenever kernel goes to
> sleep. And I'm really can't stop the kernel from going to sleep (from a
> theoretical point I can do that as well, but at least I have not
> implemented that).

Yes, i've understood that.

What i'm saying is that your approach:

"Hey, I'm going to suspend, in the time available before I go to sleep,
do whatever you can do!"

is faulty, imo.

What we are doing in Maemo is:

App1 changes states -> App1 saves its state using library
App2 changes states -> App2 saves its state using library
App3 changes states -> App3 saves its state using library
App4 changes states -> App4 saves its state using library

Suspend event -> Apps do nothing

Very simple and deterministic. Note also that you can track is Apps are
saving their state by refcounting and therefore delaying the actual
suspend command.

I hope that it's clear now.

cheers, igor

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)