Re: Re: Platform-specific system power states

On Saturday 23 June 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 June 2007 03:32, Alan Stern wrote:

> > A good way to identify a sleep state would be a pointer to a string
> > containing the state's name.  The PM core could use these pointers to
> > export the states in sysfs.
>
> Well, I thought of exactly the same thing.

There's an echo in the room ...

> Perhaps we can generalize it a bit by defining:
>
> struct pm_sleep_state {
> 	char *name;
> };

I suppose having the core use only the name would be a bit radical;
but on the other hand, I really like the resulting notion that the
generic code must accordingly know *NOTHING* about the semantics
of any such states.  Having a struct sort of begs that it someday
be expanded.

> and make the platforms give us a NULL-terminated array of such things during
> the initializatiion.

And conceptually "typedef struct pm_sleep_state *suspend_state_t;"?
Though eventually "suspend_state_t" should vanish.

- Dave