Re: charging batteries from USB [was: Re: Alternative Concept]

David Brownell wrote:
>>> There are patches to allow disabling it at runtime through sysfs
>>> attributes of any given device.
>>>
>>> The primary reason to have one is bugs in those external devices,
>>> where they don't behave according to the USB spec.  That's the
>> If I didn't miss something, the primary reason was to allow
>> devices to charge batteries from the bus, so, does USB
>> specs restrict this somehow? Or, what's wrong with that?
>
> You're mixing up two distinct issues:
>
>  - Minimizing power use by the USB host ... to stretch its battery
>    life, or otherwise shrink its power usage, starting with current
>    delivered between on USB (between VBUS and GND).
>
>  - How the peripheral uses whatever VBUS current it draws ... which
>    can power arbitrary electronics, including a battery charger, but
>    might be nothing more than powering the USB link.  (FWIW that's all
>    the Nokia 800 does with VBUS; that helps stretch battery life.)
>
> Clearly there's some competition there.  The default policy allows
> autosuspend.  The primary reason to disable autosuspend is, as I
> said, that some devices don't work well with it.  (Flakey circuits
> or firmware, etc.)
>
> However, enabling autosuspend *does* have a side effect that would
> matter for those few devices that use VBUS to recharge a battery:
> the VBUS current going to a suspended device is almost certainly
> not enough to recharge anything substantial.  So -- for those few
> devices that do recharge batteries over USB -- yes, another reason
> to disable autosuspend might be to help recharge a battery.

I clearly understand these distinct issues, I read Oliver's
comments for "switching off autosuspend through sysfs" patch,
where he said "This is needed for devices which recharge
their batteries of the bus" (but nothing regarding improper
behavior of some devices) so I decided you was referring
to that issue, that made me think that I overlooked something
in USB spec :)

Anyway, thanks for your explanation.

Regards,
Dmitry