Re: [RFC] dynamic device power management proposal

| From: Pavel Machek<pavel@xxxxxx>
|
| Hi!

| > |
| > | Fix the app, then.
| > ---
| >
| > I would normally call designs that expect important functions (like
| > power on/power off) to happen as side effects of other operations (like
| > opening and closing files) broken to begin with. It's still a bad idea
| > to hide policy inside the driver.
|
| Then you are welcome to go design your own operating system.
|
| I certinaly do not want open() on powered down /dev/dsp to succeed
| with /dev/dsp powered down.
---

I don't, either. I just don't want it to power down unless I've said
it's OK. I would be fine with an API that cleanly tells the device not
to power down on its own.

You said "let's not break our designs for corner cases"; I simply
expressed the opinion that that aspect of the design seemed broken, by
normal software design criteria - don't let important things happen as
side effects.

---

| > There's nothing contrived or corner-case-ish about cyclic operations in
| > a world where media players, animations, etc., are utterly
| > commonplace.
|
| Yep? And you close your sound device between those?
---

We close it between some kinds of cyclic operations. We'd like to be
able to be finer grained in the future.

---
| > And latency may be ignorable in a laptop environment, but it absolutely
| > isn't in embedded devices, which users expect to operate immediately, as
| > though they were gear-driven rather than computer-driven.
|
| What latency are you talking about? Powering up piece of hw takes one
| milisecond or something. If your /dev/dsp takes 3 seconds to power up,
| you probably need userspace policy daemon. But that is not the case,
| hw takes few miliseconds to wake up.
---

Sure, but *some* devices take substantially longer to power up or
down.  If you insist that the driver should make the power down
decision, then you lump high-latency and low-latency devices together,
even though high-latency devices might be better served by separating
the semantics.

scott

--
scott preece
motorola mobile devices, il67, 1800 s. oak st., champaign, il  61820